In our day to day life while working, playing and doing daily activities, we are prone to having a bad day. We stumble upon something, we get cough/cold, our stomach gets upset after eating junk food, get a cut or scratch while playing. This all things are inevitable in our life but we do suffer frequently due to this. Problems are there to come, but every problem has a solution. So we will go through such solutions by getting to know ‘WHAT TO DO IF?‘
Take some time to learn first aid and CPR. It saves life and it worksBobby Sherman
People often say ‘Prevention is Better than Cure’. Its true and everyone should implement this. But what if some unknown event occurs randomly and you barely have witnessed it in your life? Lets go through such scenarios and their resolution.
1. What to do if someone gets a heart attack ?
- Pain in the chest, tightness or feeling pressure in center of the chest.
- Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion,
- Shortness of breath
- Sweating, fainting
Heart attack has become daily occurrence in our unhealthy life. Even young persons are facing heart problems due to bad food and health habits. So what to do if you or someone gets a heart attack?
- Contact Emergency helpline number and take the person to nearest hospital.
- Chew and swallow Aspirin as it prevents blood from clotting.
- Begin CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) if the person is unconscious.
2. What to do if someone gets cold/flu?
In Covid-19 Pandemic, cold and flu were the most common symptoms. To know more about Covid-19 (Symptoms/ Precaution/ Treatment) you can click here. And due to this nowadays, people get afraid even when they get a common flu. But you don’t need to worry as in my Home Remedies section, I have given some important ayurvedic home remedy which you can use to prevent and cure many disease at home itself.
For now we will check What to do if someone gets cold/flu?
- Visit the doctor and get Tested.
- Stay at home, don’t get in close contact with other person.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a mask.
- Intake some warm liquids like soup and drink plenty of water.
- Try nasal drops or spray.
- Take rest.
3. What to do if someone gets a Stroke?
- Sudden lack of balance.
- Loss of basic muscle movement.
- Slight memory loss.
- Sudden changes in mood or personality.
- Lack of coordination.
Stroke has no age limits, it can occur to human beings of any age. This basically is caused by unhealthy lifestyle. Mostly people with hyper-tension, diabetes, or people who smoke and drink alcohol are more prone of having a stroke.
What to do if someone gets a stroke?
- Call Emergency healthcare or nearest medical facility.
- Place the person into a comfortable position and loosen any tight clothing.
- Do not give them any food or liquids.
- Note the symptoms and the time it started.
- Monitor their airway and breathing.
- If there are no signs of breathing, then begin CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation).
4. What to do if someone has a seizure?
A seizure normally occurs when some parts of the brain has a burst of abnormal electrical signals that interrupt normal brain signals. Due to which the person body reacts abnormally or starts jerking. Sometimes that person can also go unconscious during this. Most of the time seizure are not fatal, however witnessing a seizure is a frightening experience.
So What to do if someone has a seizure?
- Keep other people out of the way.
- Do not hold or try to resist the movement of patient.
- Clear any sharp or hard object away from the patient
- Check whether nothing is in patients mouth, as it can harm their teeth or jaw.
- Turn the person onto one side, this will help person breathe.
- If the seizure lasts more than 5 mins, call Medical Emergency.
- If the patient has diabetes, heart disease or is pregnant then do contact nearest Medical Facility.
5. What to do if someone gets bit by snake?
People are often frightened even if they hear of snake. And snake bites have the reputation which have generated immense fear in the mind of people. We have to understand, like every other animals, snake also fear humans, they bite when they feel danger. If we go into facts, their are more than 4000 species of snakes in the world, out of which only few hundreds species are venomous.
But what to do if someone gets bit by a venomous snake?
- One should seek a doctor ASAP, medical care is most important.
- Remove any kind of rings, watches, bracelets, etc. if bitten on the hand.
- Loosen tight clothes if there is swelling.
- Apply a pressure bandage to the bite area.
- Apply firm pressure to the bite area.
- Check and keep a track of the area which is swelling.
- Keep the affected area lower than the heart level.
- Do not suck out the venom or use knife over it, as it can get infected even more.
- Do not use aspirin or any pain relievers.
6. What to do if someone is Choking?
Choking happens when someone’s airway is blocked or partially blocked, due to which the person can’t breathe. In case of mild choking, a person can himself clear the blockage by coughing, or by trying spitting out the object in mouth. However, in case of severe choking, a person can speak, cough and breathe. He can eventually fall unconscious. So what to do if someone is choking severely?
- When Coughing doesn’t help, the best option is to stand behind them, slightly to one side. Support the person’s chest with 1 hand. Lean them forward so the object blocking their airway will come out of their mouth. Give up to 5 sharp blows between their shoulder blades with the heel of your hand. Then check if the blockage has cleared
- If this does not work, try out Abdominal Thrust. To carry out Abdominal Thrust, stand behind the person, place your arms around their waist and bend them forward. Clinch one fist and place it right above belly button. Put the other hand on top of fist and pull sharply upwards and inwards. Repeat this process about 5 times.
- If the person is still choking, then call nearest Emergency Medical Facility and continue giving back blows and abdominal thrust.
- If the person falls unconscious and not breathing, than start CPR.